Bulla Area Info
Bulla is a small town immediately northwest of Melbourne Airport and 30 km north-west of Melbourne, the capital city of Victoria, Australia, along Sunbury Road. Its Local Government Area is the City of Hume. At the 2006 Census, Bulla had a population of 398.
The town is situated in a valley along Deep Creek, a tributary of Maribyrnong River.
Bulla's name is of Indigenous origins but the meaning is unclear. It was first settled by William "Tulip" Wright, the former chief constable of Melbourne, in 1843, and in 1851, the village was surveyed. A flour mill, brickworks and pottery works were built to exploit local kaolinite reserves, and facilities were quickly erected to serve the local population, including several churches (two of which are now listed by the National Trust), a school, general store, post office and, from 1862, council offices.
At the time it was the largest town in the region, but competition from Sunbury limited the growth of the town. In 1956, the Bulla Shire Council (now part of the City of Hume following amalgamation in 1994) moved to Sunbury, and in 1996, the Kennett Liberal government closed the primary school.
In 1910, the Bulla Cream Company took up dairy farming in the area, transporting the cream by horse and cart to their processing facility at Moonee Ponds in suburban Melbourne.
The town centre of Bulla contains a large reserve which includes a sports centre, tennis club and community centre. This reserve is home to the Tullamarine Live Steam Society, who maintain a miniature railway which is open to the public on the first and third Sunday afternoon of each month, also a monthly Market 3rd Sunday 9am to 3pm train rides all day. It also contains hotel-motel accommodation and a country fire station
The ABS reported in 2001 that 12% of the town's residents are of Italian descent, and a Calabria Club is located on Uniting Lane.